Ready … Set … for Husbandry Care!
Laura and John invite you to join them for a clinic-style seminar where principles will be put into practice. Join them for an immersion in positive reinforcement training for husbandry care.
The set up:
- Clinic style: work with one participating team at a time, with Laura & John coaching or sometimes working directly with the animal learner while the whole group observes and takes part in discussions.
- Focus on practical work, advancing each team toward their goals while simultaneously teaching vital concepts to the entire group. Theory and discussions will be integrated in the practical cases.
- We will have 4 working dog teams, with each team working 1-3 days. Laura and John will select participating animal/handler teams that complement a good mix of diversity for the whole group to learn from. If you are interested in participating with a dog, please note this in your registration.
The learning objectives:
- The importance of foundation skills: TACOS
- Data collection and record keeping: what’s the plan?
- The importance of a functional assessment
- How to use creative reinforcement strategies
- Considerations and expectations when changing criterion
- Introduction of husbandry props
- TAGteach: set the human learner up for success
- Canine aggression –introduction to the what, why and how to resolve it
- Collaboration and how to build a community of like-minded caregivers
- And more!
The seminar is for everyone interested in taking animal health care and husbandry training to the next level.
- Animal care professionals and pet owners seeking to give the best care possible
- Trainers looking to expand their skills (and potentially their business)
- Veterinary professionals, groomers and other service providers looking to meet the demands of the future
May 3-5, 2019
- Friday 3 May (0930-1700)
- Saturday 4 May (0930-1700)
- Sunday 5 May (0930-1700)
Pet Empawrium, 2 Glenburn Rd, East Kilbride, Glasgow G74 5BA
About the speakers:
Laura Monaco Torelli:
Laura Monaco Torelli lives in Chicago, Illinois. She has used positive reinforcement training principles with multiple exotic and domestic species for more than 25 years, having worked at the John G. Shedd Aquarium, San Diego Zoo, and Brookfield Zoo. She is the Founder and Director of Training at Animal Behavior Training Concepts, providing services to pet owners, training professionals and veterinary professionals in Chicago as well as nationally and internationally. She is a faculty instructor for Karen Pryor Academy, and has served as a staff trainer with Chicagoland Veterinary Behavior Consultants.
Since 2008 Laura has been running the “Ready, Set for Groomer and Vet” program, collaborating with veterinary and grooming professionals, trainers, pet owners and zoological organizations to teach animals of various beautiful species to participate in their own care.
Laura is regularly featured in media. Here is an example where cooperative care is discussed on morning TV!
John McGuigan lives and works in Glasgow, Scotland. He has a broad wealth of experience in all dog training and behaviour issues from puppy training to socialization. John teaches in IMDT courses, graduated from the Karen Pryor Academy in 2018 and is a sought after speaker internationally. He is a presented in the USA, Canada, Australia, Slovenia, Spain and in the UK.